Electronics Design Engineer
Location: Auburn Hills, MI
Reports to: Electrical/Electronics Manager
Scope and General Summary:
The Electronics Design Engineer will be responsible for the design of custom automotive control modules and their associated electronics, including body control modules, engine controllers, transmission controllers, and testing equipment to aid in general automotive product development. Assignments will vary and will be broad in scope, requiring superior initiative and the ability to handle multiple complex assignments. This is a very hands-on position working in a hands-on organization.
This position will interface with management, engineers, suppliers, customers, and internal customers. The position may also interface with potential contractors, if required.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Translate high-level functional requirements into concrete circuit designs for automotive applications
- Review system architecture and capture interface requirements in designing and verifying new electronics products from concept through to production.
- Design and develop circuit and PCB layout from concept into production including design reviews.
- Custom control module electrical design and PCB layout that are IPC compliant for production.
- Produce DFMEA, technical notes/reports and carry out product test and simulation as required.
- Work closely with software, mechanical and vehicle system teams to ensure all designs work as required and can be produced on time and meet budget.
- Develop BOM and select components appropriate for the application and cost objectives.
- Work with external suppliers as required in the design and release of electronic control modules, electric motors, solenoids, sensors, connectors and wiring harnesses through DV testing.
- Manage all information to track requirements and design implementation and verification throughout product life cycle.
Skills/Attributes and Experience Required:
- Minimum of 5 year’s experience designing automotive electronics.
- Have a solid technical depth in automotive electronics, electrical systems, power supply design, and automotive acceptance testing required for production implementation.
- Experience with typical schematic capture and board layout software environments.
- Strong problem-solving skills and desire to work in fast paced environment.
- Effectively working with cross functional team members from multiple disciplines.
- Ability to communicate and drive suppliers (Technical and Product Management skills).
- Willingness to help other activities as needed.
- Experience in designing mechanical and thermal sub-systems of control modules is a plus.
- Bachelors, Master or PhD in Electrical & Electronics Engineering.
Physical Effort Required:
- Physical effort is within a typical office environment and electronics laboratory.
- Light-intermittent sitting, standing, and walking with no extensive physical strain.
- Working at a table-type desk and using a computer for most hours in a given work day.
- Must be able to travel, when required.
- Work at times in electrical lab and on vehicles in a shop garage.
- This role requires one to work both alone and as a team in multiple work settings.
Mahindra is an equal opportunity employer and as such will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age, disability or genetic information. Mahindra further agrees to take affirmative action to ensure equal employment opportunities.